SHOW STATUS, LATEST UPDATES and COVID RESOURCES
Message from Show Management
July 6, 2020: Amidst all the uncertainty in the world today, one thing is certain: PACK EXPO International and Healthcare Packaging EXPO will happen this year, either as a physical event with a virtual component, or an entirely virtual event for those who wish to participate. Read more
Two options currently under consideration for our 2020 event:
- In-Person Event with Virtual Components: This is the current plan for the show. It will be a combination of an in-person event operated with best practices for social distancing and taking all current sanitation recommendations into account to offer a safe environment for all participants; as well as, a virtual feature to the show for buyers unable to travel to the event. The hybrid component is included for contracted exhibitors for the in-person event.
- Virtual Event: If a physical event in Chicago is not permitted, PMMI is ready to convert our current event to a fully virtual format that will allow exhibitors live interaction with buyers online as well as offer attendees the opportunity to stroll the virtual exhibit halls for solutions through a highly defined search capability on the event's interface. If this path is taken, current exhibitors will have the option to participate and apply payment from the physical event to the virtual event or choose to not exhibit in the virtual event and cancel their participation. Participation in a fully virtual event would have no impact on priority for future shows. A final decision will be made in August.
Frequently Asked Questions Regarding PACK EXPO International and Healthcare Packaging EXPO 2020:
As of today, we are scheduled to have our show, and will consider all current health guidelines necessary to create a safe and productive environment, complemented with a virtual element to maximize connections with attendees facing travel restrictions. Unfortunately, the lack of clarity in both the governor’s and mayor’s plans around when large events will be permitted in Chicago makes it impossible for us to be confident in what format our show will be delivered, but we can assure you that there will be a show, whether in-person with a virtual-option, or all-virtual. PMMI will also assess, even if we do get the green light from the governor, if it is safe and makes sense to proceed under guidelines provided.
PACK EXPO International and Healthcare Packaging EXPO 2020 will be operated with best practices for social distancing and taking into account all current sanitation recommendations to offer a safe environment for all participants.
We are closely monitoring developments and mandates from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the World Health Organization (WHO), local public health officials and our venue partners in Chicago for guidance on how best to ensure the well-being of all attendees, partners and staff on site at this year’s show.
Per current State requirements, face masks will be required by all individuals upon entry into McCormick Place. Masks will be available on site to all individuals who need one.
Distancing measures and hygiene reminders will be in place throughout the convention center.
McCormick Place has committed to achieving the GBAC Star™ Facility Accreditation which includes adhering to protocols in place for disinfection and cleaning of all public spaces, restrooms, meeting rooms, and high touch areas.
Food service processes and options have been updated to ensure the health and safety of all participants. You will notice updated seating arrangements, pre-packaged food options as well as masked and gloved service by trained servers throughout the dining spaces.
Sanitizing stations will be set up throughout the convention center.
PMMI is planning a virtual component to complement the in-person event. All exhibitors that are contracted for the in-person event will be included in the virtual portion and provided with means to connect directly with attendees through their online Exhibitor Dashboard. The virtual component is a complementary upgrade for exhibitors contracted for the in-person event. There is not a virtual only option available for the hybrid event.
If a physical event in Chicago is not possible, PMMI will convert our current event to a fully virtual format that will allow exhibitors live interaction with buyers online. If this path is taken, current exhibitors will be given the option to participate and apply a portion of their payment from the physical event to the virtual event or choose not to exhibit in the virtual event and cancel their participation. Participation in a fully virtual event would have no impact on priority for future shows. A final decision will be made in August.
The following components include but will not be limited to:
- live chats – both 1:1 and group
- product demonstrations via live video
- enhanced lead generation
- comprehensive product gallery with images & videos
- daily keynote sessions
- targeted educational content
Yes, live product demos (15 minutes each) will be the defining feature of a PACK EXPO virtual trade show. If you have equipment, you can take your smartphone or tablet into your exhibit booth or out onto your plant floor, walk around the equipment as it’s running, and show different aspects of its operation. You can also include pre-recorded video during your demo.
No. Research we conducted with attendees show they do NOT value fancy 3D renderings of booths on a computer screen. What attendees DO value is being able to quickly understand what products you have, see live demos, and connect with your experts in real time.
PMMI is committed to announcing the final decision for the event in August, well ahead of all order deadlines for exhibitors.
Latest Exhibitor Updates
Here’s what you can expect in the coming weeks:
- Booth Space Payment Extension: The due date for the final payment has been extended to August 1, 2020.
- Exhibitor Service Manual: PACK EXPO Services (PES) launched the Exhibitor Service Manual the week of June 8. You should have gotten notified via email that week by PACK EXPO Services. If you have not yet received communication from PES, please contact the PMMI Show Department by emailing [email protected] or calling 571-612-3200. While the manual is currently available, exhibitors will have until September 21, 2020 to order most services at a 30% discounted rate.
- Exhibitor Updates: PMMI will continue to send regular communications to exhibitors with the latest information on planning for PACK EXPO International and Healthcare Packaging EXPO 2020. We will have a message every Monday or Tuesday on our COVID-19 page about the status of the show and will be sending you via email the Exhibitor Update every two weeks on Wednesdays. Read all previous Exhibitor Updates HERE.
- Exhibitor Success and ROI Center: New for 2020, we have launched the Exhibitor Success and ROI Center, designed to streamline all information and resources for planning and promoting your booth space. Look for more information in upcoming Exhibitor Update emails. Be sure to mark your calendar for pertinent webinars that assist not only your show planning but your sales and marketing efforts in general.
- Facilitating Connections - what you can do now: Access your Exhibitor Dashboard and update your FREE online directory listing to continue to make connections during this time. Be sure that your company is found in our online Exhibitor Directory with the most up-to-date information on company offerings, product categories, vertical markets served, and more. In 2018, attendees added 77,057 exhibitors to their agendas and there were 17,437 mobile app downloads! Buyers rely on the Exhibitor Directory to identify key suppliers to solve their challenges - don't go unnoticed.
In a special UnPACKed with PMMI podcast series, PMMI’s members offer their guidance around managing business operations during the COVID-19 crisis, how packaging is playing a vital role in helping society through these unfamiliar times, and best practices for keeping the industry strong and connected.
Four Months into the New Abnormal
Business disruptions created by the COVID-19 pandemic have impacted operations, sales and field service activities. PMMI members will join representatives from PMMI’s senior management team: Glen Long, senior vice president and Jorge Izquierdo, vice president, market development on Thursday, July 30 at 11 a.m. EST to discuss ways they are dealing with this new abnormal.
PMMI has produced a series of presentations called "COVID-19 and Your Business" with guest speakers from both suppliers and consumer packaged goods (CPG) companies to discuss solutions to the challenges in the packaging supply chain during this current pandemic. Below you will see the list of pre-recorded town hall presentations available as a resource to you.
- June 4 - What Does Back to Work Look Like for Field Service Technicians
- May 7 - Ideas for Bringing Workers Back to the Office
- April 22 - International Perspectives from PMMI Members with a Global Presence
- April 16 - Business and Tax Policy Update: COVID-19 Relief for PMMI Members
- April 9 - PMMI Member Executives Discuss Manufacturing Business Issues
- April 2 - PMMI Members and End Users from the OpX Leadership Network Executive Council Discuss Operational Challenges
- March 26 - Managing and Supporting Your Staff and Customers
NEW Webinar Recording – Economic Update with ITR Economics Webinar
One of our most popular ELC sessions went virtual. Hear a 90-minute update from ITR Economics on the economy for the rest of 2020 and 2021 and how the COVID-19 pandemic will impact the economy, your customers and your business. This recorded webinar is available for you to view and share with your team. Access other videos and webinars from the virtual ELC here.
Status Report On Future McCormick Place Conventions In the Wake Of COVID-19
Find out the status of 38 McCormick Place events, including PACK EXPO International and Healthcare Packaging EXPO 2020, between now and the end of the year.
As of today, we are scheduled to have our show and are planning for a successful and safe event for all. Unfortunately, the lack of clarity in both the governor’s and mayor’s plans around when and if large events will be allowed to take place make it impossible for us to be confident in what format our show will take place, but we can assure you that there will be a show, whether in-person, hybrid or virtual.
The PMMI Board of Directors agreed to make a final decision on the status of the show in August, should we not hear something before that from Governor Pritzker on what his five-phase plan to reopen the state means for trade shows. If something should happen prior to August, all exhibitors will be notified immediately.
The health and safety of everyone involved are top of mind – an in-person PACK EXPO show in Chicago this year would take into account all current health and safety guidelines to create a safe and productive environment. PMMI will also assess, even if we do get the green light from the governor, if it is safe and makes sense to proceed under guidelines provided.
Watch CBS report here.
PMMI has created a library of resources in an effort to provide support that will be updated regularly, not only for the membership but the industry-at-large.
Please bookmark the PMMI Resource Page that includes items such as:
- PMMI Podcasts
- Relevant articles from Packaging World, ProFood World and much more
- Resources from the National Association of Manufacturers (NAM), World Health Organization (WHO) and the Centers for Disease Control (CDC)
The June 2020 Purchasing Index report shows end users in the pharmaceuticals and medical devices, chemicals and foods and food preparation industries are optimistic about current business conditions driving strong expansion in 2021 investment.
This monthly PMMI Business Intelligence report looks at projected activity, use of technologies and general business conditions across six CPG categories.